Thursday, September 17 – 10:45am – 4:00pm Eastern
Thank You To Our Generous Sponsors To Date
Mike & Niki Bennett
Jeff & Gail MacKinnon
The Honorable Grant Aldonas & Pam Olson
Our LIVE Constitution Day VIRTUAL Workshops!
We’re planning a full day of 25-minute workshops, starting at 10:45AM Eastern, to celebrate the U.S. Constitution and help students learn how the Constitution applies to their individual strengths and interests! Constituting America’s co-Presidents Janine Turner and Cathy Gillespie will moderate each session, each of which will feature our fabulous We the Future Contest winners, who are students just like you! Drop in based on your interest, or stay all day!
ALL TIMES IN EASTERN.
Our Workshops – All Led & Moderated by Constituting America Founder & Co-President Actress Janine Turner & Co-President Cathy Gillespie
- 10:45 AM – Opening & Introduction
- 11:00 AM – LIVE Reading of the U.S. Constitution
- Join us as Janine Turner and Cathy and National Youth Board members Tova Love Kaplan and Dakare Chatman read the Constitution LIVE!
- 11:45 AM – The Constitution & Crafts Workshop
- Constituting America’s Elementary School Poetry and Artwork contest winners work with students to create artwork and poetry about the Constitution! Bring your pencil, paper, and art supplies!
- 12:15 PM – The Constitution & Cinema Workshop
- Constituting America’s Middle School, High School, and College PSA and Short Film winners work with students to create storyboards and plan ideas to create their own PSAs and short films. Bring your pencil and paper to create your own storyboard!
- 12:45 PM – The Constitution & Science Workshop
- Constituting America’s Middle School and High School STEM winners teach kids how to create a template for building an app or website. Use your computer, phone, or tablet to follow along!
- 1:15 PM – The Constitution & Citizenship Workshop
- Join us as former Turner Maurice Gauntt, Jr. Exemplary Citizenship Award winners talk about how to win the scholarship and the amazing opportunities it provides!
- 1:45 PM – The Constitution & the First Amendment Workshop
- Janine Turner teaches students how to write a petition and use their unalienable rights protected by the Constitution!
- 2:15 PM – The Constitution & Communication Workshop
- Constituting America’s Middle School, High School, and College Essay and Speech winners teach kids how to create an outline and plan out tips to deliver strong arguments in their own essays and speeches! Bring paper and a writing utensil to get started planning your winning communications!
- 2:45 PM – The Constitution & How to Have a Civil Civic Conversation Workshop
- Constituting America’s contest winners teach how to have a Civil Civic Conversation in our divided country!
- 3:15 PM – The Constitution & Concert Workshop
- Constituting America’s Middle School and High School Song winners teach how to write lyrics and music! Bring paper and pencil to get started on your drafts!
Stay tuned for more news on our special VIRTUAL presentation in celebration of the 233rd anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution! Perfect for your classroom – remote or live – for Constitution Day!
Janine Turner, Cathy Gillespie, and Constituting America’s Student Ambassadors, Tova Love Kaplan and Dakare Chatman, chat with Constitutional experts on hot-topic issues via Zoom!
Actress Janine Turner is famous for her role as Maggie O’Connell in televisions’ Northern Exposure. She is the Founder and Co-President of Constituting America which launched in 2010. She is still acting but she is also actively teaching kids about the U.S. Constitution given over 540 speeches to classrooms across the country.
Cathy Gillespie is the co-president of Constituting America and one of 16 private citizens serving on the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission, helping organize the celebration of our country’s 250th birthday in 2026! She is a former Congressional Chief of Staff and former Commissioner of the White House Fellows Commission.
Tova Love Kaplan is sixteen years old and lives in Chicago, Illinois. She currently serves as the National Youth Director for Constituting America, and runs the National Youth Advisory Council. She is a three-time winner of the “We the Future” contest in the Entrepreneurial (where she created a marketing plan), PSA (entitled “Know Your Rights. Read The Constitution”) and STEM (where she created an app). She is passionate about educating and empowering young people to use their constitutional rights!
Constituting America Student Ambassador Dakare Chatman is 18 years old, and is currently a junior, full-time college student in South Carolina. He has won Constituting America’s We The Future Contest twice, once for best PSA where he reminded viewers the Constitution is “An American Thing, So Know It” and twice for his short film “Man On The Street.” He is also actively involved in our National Youth Advisory Board. He’s a working actor seen most recently in HBO’s The Righteous Gemstones and on April 15 in Netflix’s: Outer Banks. Dakare wishes to be an actor, but also a politician. But says you must be an actor to be a politician.